> Home > Policy information > Product Features
British Cycling Bike Insurance offers different levels of cover to suit the widest variety of cyclists. Our flexible cover allows you to choose the options that match your needs - for example, if you don't need racing or competition cover... why pay for it?
The information displayed is for guidance only and no contract or contract term is implied - only the policy wording can be taken as a binding contract.
For more information on what is or is not covered under the policy, please read the Policy Information section where you will find British Cycling Bike Insurance Insurance Product Information Document or the policy wording.
British Cycling Bike Insurance is suitable for:
- Cyclists that use their bicycle for leisure and/or business purposes
- Cyclists that commute to work on pedal bicycles or electric bicycles
- Cyclists that race or are involved in other competitive cycle sports
British Cycling Bike Insurance provides:
- Cover against theft and accidental damage up to £12,500
- Replacement on a new for old basis for bicycles up to 3 years old (older cycles are subject to depreciation)
- Bicycle hire - until items are replaced or repaired (subject to an approved claim)
- Choice of area covered:
- UK only
- EU for 90 days (45 day maximum trip)
- Worldwide for 90 days (45 day maximum trip)
- Multibike discount of up to 15%
- Other riders option
- Racing - covers you whilst you take part in road races, timed trials and other competitive events. Unfortunately professional cyclists are not eligible.
- Race Fees cover - included with the race option
- Electricbikes (for human and electric powered bicycles)
- Other riders (allows other members of your family, club, group or association to use your bicycle(s))
What is not covered
We are committed to providing you with clarity on the cover you are looking to purchase and aim to tell you the key exclusions of this policy before you buy.
Exclusions relating to theft of your bicycle when stored in its usual storage location:
- Theft at home or the insured location if the bike is left outside
- Theft at home or the insured location unless there is forcible and violent entry
- Theft in a communal bike store or communal hallway unless the bike is locked to an immovable object with an approved lock
Exclusions relating to theft of your bicycle when you go out on it:
- Theft if the bike is left without being locked to an immovable object
- Theft when the lock you have used is not an approved lock
- Theft of your bike if it is left unattended anywhere for any more than 18 hours
Exclusions relating to accidental damage of your bicycle
- Any cosmetic damage which does not impair the function or performance of the bike
- Whilst in transit by any carrier unless it is securely packaged
- Accidental damage when loaned or hired out to any other person
- Any mechanical or electrical failure
- Faulty or defective design
- When using the bike for racing or competition unless you have purchased active cover
- Using the bike for hire and reward
- The first £25 on all claims OR
- The first £100 or 20% whichever is the greater for bikes stored in wooden sheds, communal hallways, privately accessed gardens or communal outbuildings
If your bike is less than 3 years old you will receive a new replacement for your bike. Thereafter your bike will be subject to an adjustment for depreciation due to wear and tear which means the settlement will be reduced dependent upon the age of the bike up to a maximum of 50% when the bike is over 10 years old.